Monday, October 12, 2009

Chili con Carne

It is so chilly outside that I decided today is the day to make my chili.

I admit that I like recipes and I particularly like the recipes in Betty Crocker's New Cookbook: Everything You Need To Know to Cook. Sometimes the best part of a recipe is the framework. Make it your own by adjusting the ingredients to your taste.
My (and Betty's) Chili Recipe:
2 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4 gloves of garlic, crushed (this is where I use my McCormick Minced Garlic)
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (enter my Hot Sauce - Louisiana Style)
2 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
2 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
2 cans (15 to 16 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
2 cans (15 to 16 ounces) chili beans, undrained

1. Cook beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper in a big soup pan, stirring occasionally, until the beef is brown; drain (and I rinse the grease off with hot water too).
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except beans, breaking up the tomatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.

If you don't have time to simmer it an hour, you can double the chili powder and omit the cumin, oregano, cocoa, and pepper sauce. However, slow cooked chili is the best!




You may think that you can't change a recipe but I submit to you that there are several editions of Betty Crocker's book with EVERYTHING you need to know, so there must be room for change here. Why not make the changes your own?

The green pepper was my addition today and I always add more beans and tomatoes than the original recipe. I like to have dark red kidney beans, regular kidney beans, chili beans, etc. because I like the variety in the look, taste, and texture. And, of course, my recipe is doubled because I will feast on chili for at least two days and freeze the rest for a later date.

Sincerely, Sarah

No comments: