Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Tomorrow is Grandparents Day at school so Josiah and I baked oatmeal cookies for the occasion. I didn't need to improve on the recipe since it is already delicious. Except that I use vanilla concentrate so if I used the vanilla extract that the recipe calls for, I would have to double it.

One of the best parts of baking cookies (let's be honest, there are many "best" parts to cookie making) is having someone to bake with you. Josiah assisted me after putting on his Home Depot apron. We did a check of all our ingredients first so that we could determine if we had enough for a regular batch or a double batch. Then we cleaned and organized our space and started baking!

Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies by Quaker Oats
(yields 4 dozen)
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened - I vote for butter!
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs or 4 egg whites - Definitely eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) - why not?
3 cups Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins


1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together butter and eggs until creamy.

2. Adds eggs and vanilla; beat well.



3. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well
(Don't forget to mix these dry ingredients in a separate bowl before adding them to the creamy ingredients.)

4. Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes for a chewy OR 11 to 12 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

Mmmm. Delicious.

1 comment:

Nona said...

These cookies were great! When I ate them at Grandparents day Josiah said "My mom and I made these for you. Do you want some?" OF COURSE a good grandparent would NEVER say no to that! "Josiah Aren't you going to eat any?" "Oh No! I eat M&M ones I can have oatmeal raisin at home!"